In my professional career, I focussed on wood as raw material for building products and furniture: After training as a joiner, I enrolled in the programme of Wood Science and Technology, and earned a doctoral degree on the subject of volatile organic compound (VOC) release from wood products (Universität Hamburg). During my work for a manufacturer of measuring technology, I supported customers as to questions on formaldehyde and VOC emissions, acted as product manager, and participated in the development of new measuring systems.
Writing has always been a vital ingredient of my working life, both in its scientific form and in its journalistic type. Since being self employed, texts have become my second professional foothold besides consulting.
- Freelance writer of technical and journalistic texts, freelance work for Holz-Zentralblatt, trade journal for the forestry and woodworking industries (in German)
- Freelance consultant specialised in formaldehyde and VOC emissions released by wood products
- Product manager and research & development for German manufacturer of measurement systems for the wood based panels industry
- Doctoral thesis at Hamburg University on the subject of release of volatile organic compounds from wood based products
- Scientific assistant at Thuenen Institute of Wood Research, Hamburg, and freelance work for Holz-Zentralblatt
- Internship in Russia at a European wood based panels manufacturer, and in the U.S.A. at Forest Products Laboratory, Madison WI, for final thesis, each for several months
- Degree in Wood Science and Technology from Hamburg University (MSc/Diplom-Holzwirtin)
- Apprenticeship as joiner near Hannover